Daily Air Quality Forecast - View it here

Open Burning (see permissible burn dates below)

Due to the recent improvements in weather conditions within the City of Pendleton, Rieth Water District, Lower McKay, McKay Dam, and Riverside Fire Districts. Open burning will reopen October 1, 2018. 

Open burning is any burning outdoors including burn barrels, backyard burning, and piles of yard debris that is generated from that property.  Burning stumps, field burns, burning trash, commercial waste, demolition waste, construction debris, and bonfires require special permits available from the Pendleton Fire Department at no charge. 

It is against the law to conduct any open burning that unreasonably interferes with the enjoyment of life or property, creates a public or private nuisance, or is a hazard to public safety.

Burn barrels within the fire districts are permitted; they may only be used on “Green Days.”  Burn barrels are not allowed within the Pendleton city limits any time of the year by City Ordinance. 

Before using a burn barrel outside of the City during the closed burning season residents must determine if it is a “Green Day”.  This can be determined by calling the County Burn Line at 541-278-6397 (During the open burning season use the City Burn Line at 541-966-0327).

For a complete list of burning, regulations visit the Pendleton Fire Department at 911 SW Court Ave or visit our website at www.pendleton.or.us/fire-ambulance

Shawn Penninger Assistant Chief / Fire Marshal 541-276-1442

Domestic Waste

Domestic waste includes yard debris such as leaves, limbs, brush or other natural material actually generated around a dwelling of four or fewer family living units. The combustible waste must be burned on the property on which it was generated. Household garbage, plastic, diapers, rubber products, and recyclable materials are not allowed to be burned.


Commercial, Construction, or Demolition Waste

Any combustible waste that is not generated on residential property (four-plex or less) or is transported to another site is considered commercial waste and requires a permit from Pendleton Fire & Ambulance and Oregon DEQ (541-278-4626).

Construction and demolition waste also requires a permit from Pendleton Fire & Ambulance and Oregon DEQ (541-278-4626).

Special Events

Fires for special events are allowed on a case-by-case basis.  This includes bon fires and fires after dark.  Contact the Pendleton Fire Marshal at pendletonfireatci.pendleton.or.us or call 541-276-1442 for more information.

Burn Barrels

Burn barrels are prohibited inside the city limits of Pendleton.  Burn barrels are allowed in the fire districts and can be used year-round but can only be used on “Green Days”.  When the Pendleton burn season is closed please refer to the Umatilla County’s burn line for burn day status at 541-278-6397 or visit their web site at http://www.co.umatilla.or.us/jail/burnday.html.

Burn Days

Seasonal open burning is allowed on “Green Days” during the period October 1 through May 31, weather permitting. Open burning, excluding burn barrels in the Fire Districts, is prohibited from June 1 through September 30.

It is against the law to construct any open burning that:

  • Unreasonably interferes with enjoyment of life or property.
  • Creates a public nuisance.
  • Is a hazard to public safety.

To determine if today is a “Green Day” call 541-966-0327 after 8:30 each morning or click here for the air quality forecast.

Burning Safety Rules

  • Burn piles are limited to three feet (3’) in diameter and must be 25’ from structures, shrubs, dry grass, etc.
  • Fire must be constantly attended by a responsible person 16 years old or older.
  • Must have water available to the fire at all times.  Typically a garden hose attached to a water supply that will reach the burn pile.
  • All fires must be DEAD OUT by dark.

Prohibited Materials

DEQ regulations prohibit open burning of the following materials at anytime, anywhere in Oregon.

  • Rubber Products
  • Plastic
  • Wet Garbage
  • Petroleum and Petroleum Treated Products
  • Industrial Waste
  • Tires
  • Wire Insulation
  • Automotive Parts
  • Animal Remains
  • Wet Yard Debris
  • ANY materials which emit dense black smoke or noxious odors.

Regardless of the circumstances you are responsible for your fire and any damage caused by your fire.  Please be courteous to your neighbors and respect their rights and be aware of your smoke.

Permit Applications

Information and Brochures